So you need a new website but would like to have a mobile website as well. Sounds easy enough, right? Two totally different projects, twice the money, and quadruple the headaches. You’ve probably heard the term Responsive Website tossed around a few times but have no idea what the heck it is. Let me tell you what it is. It’s the answer to your next website / mobile development project.
What is the difference between a mobile website and a responsive website? To put it simply, a responsive website is a single website that conforms to the device you’re browsing it on, whether it be a smartphone, tablet, or even a desktop computer. A mobile website is usually an entirely different website that is optimized solely for the use on mobile devices. Your main website will usually have some sort of browser detection script that will redirect mobile users from your full site to your mobile site.
Mobile Website vs Responsive Website
- Mobile websites are usually an entirely separate website.
- Mobile websites often times cost more on top of your regular website.
- Mobile websites require updates/maintenance in addition to your regular website.
- Responsive websites work on computers, smartphones, and tablets.
- Responsive websites combine both regular and mobile websites in one so it’s usually cheaper.
- Responsive websites do not require additional updates/maintenance.
When would a responsive website design be a good choice? If you’re planning on building a brand new website and you need a mobile version, you would be better off choosing a responsive website design. This can save you hundreds, if not thousands of dollars on an additional website project.
When would a regular mobile website design be a good choice? If you’re happy with your current website design and you have a whole bunch of content you don’t want to change, a regular mobile website may be the best choice for you.